Free software, multi-platform
WeeChat is a fast, light and extensible chat client, released under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3.
It was written from scratch, and is actively developed.
WeeChat has a text interface and runs on many operating systems, such as:
- GNU Hurd
- Mac OS X
- Windows (cygwin)
Light and extensible
WeeChat is designed to be light and extensible: a lightweight core with optional plugins.
Plugins and scripts can be dynamically loaded and unloaded at any time.
Almost everything is a plugin, for example:
- Internet Relay Chat (IRC) protocol
- IRC proxy and remote interface (relay)
- Scripts manager
- Alias, aspell, charset, logger, ...
The future is now!
WeeChat brings a lot of innovating features, which makes it different from other console/terminal based chat clients.
Look by yourself (the list is not exhaustive):
- 256 colors
- Mouse support
- Customizable bars
- 6 script languages
- Horizontal/vertical split
- Dynamic filtering of lines
- Incremental text search
- FIFO pipe
- Spell checking
- Scripts manager
- Remote interfaces
- Upgrade without quitting
Full-featured IRC plugin
IRC plugin implements the protocol as described in the RFCs 1459 and 2812.
It comes with many built-in features, such as:
- IPv6, SSL, proxy
- SASL authentication
- Color for nicks
- Color for away nicks
- Smart filter
- Commands redirection
- Custom CTCP replies
- Lag indicator
- DCC (file/chat)
External interfaces (graphical or text) can connect to a running WeeChat.
Here is a list of available interfaces:
Documentation and support
WeeChat is translated into several languages and has a comprehensive documentation, also translated.
- You are new to WeeChat? Read the quickstart and user's guide.
- Got a trivial question? The FAQ is waiting for you!
- You want to write a script for WeeChat? Look at scripting guide and plugin API reference.
- Your native tongue is C? Then take a look at the developer's guide and contribute!
There is an excellent support for users. Try it if you have any questions!